‘Iran: Wonders of Nature’ Staff Favourites

What is your favourite object in the Iran: Wonders of Nature exhibition and why?

I asked this question through our Museums Staff channel a few weeks ago, with the idea of sharing the different ways in which people have experienced our new temporary exhibition since it opened. The results can be categorised in three main groups.

Reflection

I love the ‘Volume with texts in Persian on astrology, made between 1600 and 1700 AD’ – I find the zodiac drawings intriguing and feel like I’m peering into the private notebook of an astrologer who is trying to figure out the mysteries of space and our existence – much like we still are today.

Sarah C., Museum Trainee
A notebook open to a page with notes in red and black ink.
A notebook in ‘The Skies’ section of the exhibition, with Persian text and astrological diagrams which explain the twelve signs of the zodiac, their position in relation to the planets, and their parts.

Being faced with 5000 years of history will make even the more spontaneous of us take a step back and ponder the meaning of life. Some of the objects in this exhibition are incredibly ancient. What was life like when they were made? What can we learn about ourselves by looking at them?

Detail

My favourite is the astrolabe! It’s in such pristine condition and has brilliant intricate detail. Always imagining learning how to use it whilst invigilating!

Sharon P., Visitor Services Facilitator

The Astrolabe has been one of the most popular items amongst staff – perhaps most impressive in comparison with the Astrolabe we display in our permanent galleries, which is much bigger but not as detailed. The gold, the inscriptions, the decorations all around it… this object is guaranteed to make you want to press your nose against all three sides of the case to see more. Note we (and our cleaners) do not endorse this behaviour… or do we?

Discovery

My two top [favourites] at the start were the Bustan scroll and the Stone Mountain Man. Now, after spending some hours in there invigilating, it’s the lid! Every time I look at it I notice something new, I love the faces in the drawings and trying to work out what they are doing. Visitors seem to ignore it a lot and I’ve been making sure they give it the attention it deserves.

Ana T., Visitor Services Supervisor

Visitor Services staff take turns to invigilate the galleries to be able to answer visitor questions. The gallery is a relaxing space and there is plenty of time to look at the objects – and look again, and then look closer. When the exhibition was in the planning stages, the team hoped to create a space where visitors could spend time discovering these objects – many of which had never been displayed in Scotland before. Many members of our team have spent time in the gallery and picked their favourites. Now it is your turn!

What about you? Have you visited us yet? What are your favourite objects in the exhibition?

Ask your family, or the colleague sitting beside you – and share your thoughts with us. Let’s see what the most popular object is.

Post written by Matilde Zoppi, Digital Engagement and Communications Officer at the University of St Andrews Libraries & Museums.