Three is the Magic Number: Stories of St Andrews Students

St Andrews is a town of threes: the infamous three streets, the three beaches, and the three colleges. Here, we have three members of staff from the Museum, all united by their common experience of studying at the University, reflect on their experiences of life in St Andrews over the past decade.

This marks the start of our Student Experience campaign, where we will be looking at what makes the student experience at St Andrews so special. Our museum showcases the history of the town and the university, and in a time where our community is scattered in ways we have not before experienced, we want to take the time to reflect not only on what unites us, but what makes our university, its heritage and its members both past and present, so special.

Matt

Matt graduated from St Andrews with a MA in Mediaeval History and Spanish with an integrated year abroad in 2009. Matt has been an integral part of the Museum Collections team for several years and worked at MUSA and now the Wardlaw Museum as the Learning and Access Curator.

What is your best memory of St Andrews?

Just one? Well, like so many I left St Andrews with the memory of a girl… This one had done her year abroad here when I was in my second year. She danced around my mind for nine years before I plucked up the courage to tell her I rather liked her, though given she lived several thousand miles away I didn’t expect much to come of it. Anyway, she’s no longer just a memory, she’s sat right opposite me with a ring on her finger and a baby in her tummy!

What is your favourite St Andrews tradition?

It’s not a University tradition, but the Picture House used to have a single showing of The Muppets’ Christmas Carol every year and students would pile in to sing along, shout out lines, join in. I’m not a fan of Christmas, but this was raucous, good-spirited fun. Sadly, I’m not sure if they do it anymore!

What is different about St Andrews to other universities?

There’s real community here that I’m not sure you get in quite the same way elsewhere. The place is so small that it’s easy to bump into people and have a chat, easy to pop round to someone’s house for a cuppa, and there are traditions that foster the community, like the academic family tradition.

What having graduated and returned to St Andrews, how has St Andrews changed?

View from St Rule’s Tower, St Andrews. Image Credit: Photography by Nuwandalic, creative commons and licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.

The town itself is a lot less unique; in my day there was no Sainsbury’s or Nando’s or H&M or Starbucks, fewer high street chains, more local businesses. I particularly liked The Ladyhead Bookshop and Tea Room on North Street, which had really good soup and cakes, was right friendly and really cheap, but that’s long gone. I also used to enjoy the Toasty Bar on a Friday night, which popped up in that little alleyway beside the Baptist Church and did what it says on the tin, served toasted butties for 50p each. Their Mars Bar toasty was particularly good, but I’m not sure if that runs anymore. I’m never out later enough to find out!

Where is your favourite place in St Andrews? Now you’re no longer a student, has that changed?

I’m not sure. Alongside The Ladyhead it used to be the Whey Pat, which at that time was old fashioned, the beer was cheap, the folks behind the bar wore ties and waistcoats. Or perhaps Taste, where some of us used to go after the Christian Union meeting on a Friday night. It’s a place I associate with community, friendship and having my worldview challenged, although I did also once get a coffee bean stuck up my nose. I’m not sure why I put it up there in the first place.

What was your favourite thing to do in St Andrews? Now you’re no longer a student, has that changed?

Spending time deep in conversation with friends, over a cup of tea or a pint. The only thing that’s changed is the location – it used to be the Whey Pat, now you’re more likely to find me in the Cri.

Sophie

Sophie graduated from St Andrews with a MA in Mediaeval History in 2011. She has since returned to the area and lives close by in Fife and has recently started working as one of the Visitor Services Supervisors for the Wardlaw Museum.

What is your best memory of St Andrews?

There are so many to choose from! Having to pick just one is hard and could write a whole book on my memories.

One that does stand out is being part of the Fencing team and fencing for the University as part of BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport). It was amazing to be able to take part with such a diverse group of fellow students and it formed the backbone of most of my time and experiences as a student. Whether it was training 3 or 4 times a week, travelling to competitions and playing werewolf on the bus, or socialising outside practice and meeting for post practice lunch at Northpoint, all contribute to a general happy memory of my time at St Andrews!

St Andrews is known for traditions and having taken part in so many was fantastic. My favourite would have to be Academic Families and more specifically adopting my academic children. I have fond memories of all Raisin Weekends and really enjoyed sending out my academic children on a scavenger hunt on Raisin Sunday before playing games and then dressing them up Raisin Monday (as the three musketeers and my Lady) and sending them off to the Foam Fight. They returned after, in high spirits, and I was a very proud academic Mum.

Raisin Monday Foam Fight on Lower College Lawn, 2016.

The fact that St Andrews is affectionately called the Bubble really sums up the uniqueness about the town. You cannot walk down the Market Street without seeing someone you know and waving. I think that how the University is integrated within the town and with the local community is not something any other university has. St Andrews may not have really any nightlife in the form of nightclubs, but it does have host of other pubs and cafes and places to go and meet people and socialise with friends. Join a society and get to know a group of people with similar interests and you can make friends for life.

St Andrews sticks with you, and I know many people who have returned to this unique town, perched on the East coast of Fife, not the easiest to travel to, but rich in memories and experiences.

The basic essence and spirit of the town has not changed, and landmarks remain a constant. A few shops and places to go have gone, such as Butlers (now Blackhorns) and my favourite sandwich shop, Cherries, is now CombiniCo. New places have appeared though, and you are still spoiled for choice on where to eat or have a drink!

And most importantly my favourite pub the Whey Pat may have had a face lift, but the nachos remain the best and I can still walk into La Rendezvous and just order my ‘usual’.

St Andrews Cathedral. Credit: Creative Commons, Ancient St Andrews by Pastor Sam is licensed under CC BY 3.0.

Being a Medieval Historian, I have a love of old buildings and St Andrews has so much history and fascinating places to see. As a student, I always enjoyed walking through the Cathedral grounds or seeing the Castle and enjoying the view close by with the sea. These remain two of my favourite places in the town and allow me to switch off and take in the atmosphere, trying to imagine what life must have been like in the past for residents of the town and how it compares to life today.

Argh, I have so many favourite things to do it is so hard to choose! I think just having a walk through the town and absorbing the atmosphere still must be the best thing to do. Whether I head along to the harbour past the Cathedral or stroll along by the Castle to Castle Sands or even go for a leisurely walk along Lade Braes Walk (especially during Spring with the blossoms!), each place in St Andrews holds a special place in my heart and can never grow old. And of course, seeing the Old Course and West Sands as you enter the town just stirs my heart.

Now that I am no longer a student, I have more freedom to wander about and it means more to take those walks as I no longer live in the town and take in the atmosphere and uniqueness of St Andrews.

Mia

Mia is currently studying an MLitt in Modern and Contemporary Literature and Culture, whilst working as part of our visitor services team. She hopes to continue to study at St Andrews for her PhD in September, and graduate later this year.

What is your best memory of St Andrews?

I have so many fond memories of St Andrews, and I only hope to make more in the future! All of my best memories of St Andrews so far are on the beaches: long walks on West Sands, bonfires on East Sands, or reading on Castle Sands. I’ve spent so much of my time on those three beaches this year, especially with my friends, that most of my happiest memories of the town seem to come back to those three spots.

I didn’t know much about the St Andrews traditions before I joined the university, I’m ashamed to admit! Now that I know the history of the Pier Walk and the Gaudie, I love the story behind the tradition, and how it continues to unite the student and local communities two hundred years on: it’s such an incredible story of bravery and resilience in the face of fear and adversity. I also think the May Dip is a brilliant tradition, and I don’t think anyone should pass up on an attempt to cleanse their sins, academic or otherwise! Unfortunately it did not take place this year, however I am looking forward to being involved with it in future years. I think there are so many tiny traditions that individuals and friendship groups hold as well: I think our most consistent ones were a Pret almond croissant on meeting a deadline, and “seabriefs”: walking to a particular spot by Castle Sands to catch up on each other’s news of the day!

The Gaudie procession of St Andrews pier.

I think the St Andrews traditions make it a really special place to study, I think you’re very aware as a student here of the history that you become a part of when you study here. The location is also so special, and the community is so close: I think what can be misunderstood as a small university in a remote location instead is an incredibly tight knit, supportive community in a beautiful part of Scotland. I’ve never known a university with quite as many fashion shows either!

I have not yet graduated from my Mlitt at St Andrews, and I am returning in September to continue study. The way that my Mlitt has played out was not quite how I expected – I did not expect to spend much of the second and third terms away from St Andrews, for example! Having said that, I hope when I return it hasn’t changed too much – I am expecting it to maybe be quieter, but I am optimistic that the student community will rally and continue to be close and maintain all of the traditions that make it a wonderful place to study – even with social distancing! I am sure what I love about St Andrews will change as I continue to study over the years here, and as I learn more about the university and the town. I think as the Wardlaw Museum opens, that will fast become a favourite place for me to spend my time, and not only because I’ll be working there! The view that overlooks the sea is so beautiful, and it’s such a peaceful, wonderful location to showcase St Andrews fascinating and colourful history.

The three beaches are definitely my favourite thing about St Andrews. There is a bench that overlooks Castle Sands, outside of the School of English that I find a particularly peaceful place to sit. If I had to pick a singular spot that I think is the most important to me in St Andrews however, it’s the end of the Pier. The view is incredible, and I have some amazing memories of time spent there. I think the story of the Gaudie has only made me appreciate it more, and I can’t wait to visit it when I return. I think in the future these spots will still be my favourites, although I would like to think after many more years of study I might become loyal to one particular beach!

There are so many things I love doing in St Andrews, I couldn’t possibly pick one. Studying in Martyrs Kirk, getting coffee and pastries from Taste and running down North Street to a class because the queue is always longer in there than you can ever imagine it being. I’ve mentioned the beaches so much, but bonfires on the beach, and sitting on the edge of the Pier on a sunny day. Tuesday nights at Whey Pat, losing a game of Pool in the Union. St Andrews is a small place, but it’s a special one, and there’s so many friends to meet, and so many wonderful moments to be had, that it’s an incredible place to study. The only way I can see that changing in the future is through me exploring more beautiful places I haven’t found in the town yet, and creating more wonderful memories with friends old and new.